Friday, November 5, 2010

Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell (c.1997)

When PBS started showing the BBC 2nd Season of Wallander, I decided it was time to try one of these books out. I wanted to start with the first one, so I dialed up Amazon and started right away. I had seen the first season of the BBC series and liked it. HC has also read this series and recommended it.


I was very pleased with the book. Fairly standard police story with an interesting lead character and the added bonus of being set in Sweden. The book kept my interest up until the last quarter, when it became a stay up all night and read book. I was very happy with the ending and immediately ordered the next book (The Dogs of Riga ).

Then, within minutes of finishing the book, I made the mistake of watching the BBC version. I was amazed at how poorly the BBC series held up after having read the novel. It was so bad that I couldn't even finish the episode and I promptly deleted the rest of season 2. For me, Wallander will stay in the book and not on the screen. If you haven't read the books and are interested, the BBC series is pretty good. It is shot in Sweden with British actors, however it takes liberties with the entire string of novels and mixes up story lines to conform to the small screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment