Monday, December 6, 2010

Rikk's "reads"

Pillars of Earth : - Ken Follett

Cindy recommended this book and I am glad she did.

The book spans roughly a 50 year period of time approximately 1125- 1175.  It reads quite well and kept me entertained the entire way through it.  As I picture the time line it is how I see the people living. thank goodness I didn't live back then.

 

The book has families, monks, bishops, knights, kings and whatever else you can think of and how they all interact in the time period.

 

If you were a peasant in those days where do you turn for justice ?

Where can you turn for help other than the church ?

There is a vast chasm between the nobility and the peasant class with little hope of just surviving for the later.

 

The book is hard to define as the time span encompasses so much

If I had to pick the main character of the book it would be Jack or Brother Phillip. The relationship between the two and of their struggle against corruption in the church and kingdom. Their dreams and aspirations and how they go about accomplishing them with everything stacked against them.

 

 

 

The Mote in God's eye : Larry Niven

 

Good book enjoyable read.

I am not as much a sci-fi fan as I am a fiction fantasy fan but the book was a lot of fun. The imagination of the writers just to create the Mote home world and their evolutionary path is quite astounding.

 

The ending which I will leave you to find out was not what I thought it was going to be. A little bit of a surprise from where my thoughts on the book were going up until the end.

 

I think my favorite character of the book  was Admiral Kutuzov. You don't see much of him but he appears to be a no nonsense type of person. There is not much grey in his way of thinking.

 

 

Trickle up Poverty : - Michael Savage

 

First I want to start off as I a not a big Michael Savage fan. I find him somewhat arrogant and pompous but what he says does make you stop and evaluate the current affairs going on in our country.

 

If you are a "Righty" / Republican I am sure you will love the book

If you are a "Lefty" / Democrat well...... i am sure you will have the complete opposite view.

 

I am neither but enjoyed the book as it does make you stop and think.

The book's general purpose is trying to "enlighten" the American people about our current president and his policies regarding the US. It takes terrorism, military, healthcare and many other numerous subjects into consideration.

 

I recommend the read whatever your political views as I can find no fault with a book making you stop and think.  I hear the term "sheeple" quite often now a days and I could agree with that term more than ever.  People don't find answers for themselves or at least try to. They read and parrot information back to the next person lucky enough to be within range.

 

 

These are a few of the books I have read in the last few weeks. I will try and post better descriptions the more I post.  I am currently not reading any books atm  but that will be resolved rather shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment